Monday 5 September 2011

One Of Those Days.

There is a sycamore lined road I take each morning, where, above the neat rows of houses the mountains shadow one another high in the distance, today one basking in sunlight while behind it's sister lay shrouded in rain.
This morning, I saw them, the first bright splashes of red that have begun to appear amongst the leaves as we passed between the trees, wending our way in a shiny metal snake of cars, curving between trees and mountains on our daily chug.
We are truly Back To School now, our days slowly finding their well trodden groove, settling back in with just the smallest of sighs. Yet my mind is still eager to wander, to search for bright places where it can, and so, distracted as I was today by an unexpected row with Our Eldest first thing this morning, I reached into the sunlight for something positive, so in need of some yoga. We spent the last few months traveling south down the coast to our summer yoga quarters, and having missed a couple of classes recently it was with joyful relief I made my way to our local place only to find I was a week early....


And so I took a little walk, and pondered the unexpected bruising of the heart that we Mother's endure, the thoughtless words a child may say in the heat of the moment that we must absorb and somehow find the right way to bring to a positive ending.


And when I left after a while I drove without thinking and found myself back by the sea. The reassuring, ever dependable sea.

And I walked.





And as I sat in the sun, regretting I had not brought my togs, so lovely was the sun and the sea, I took that quiet time alone to pause and breathe and ponder some more, and as I stood to leave I understood that although I may not know the answer yet, going home with a peaceful, open (if bruised) heart was enough, and the answer would be provided in the right time.

And so of course tonight, what did I find when I opened my computer but this most lovely, timely, heartening video of a Dharma talk given to children by Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh, that I now must share with whomever of you would like to watch it.



My heart is eased, my mind returned to my body.
And yes, the first thing he did, this errant boy of mine, upon arriving home, was apologise.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

so sweet. sorry for your bruising. it does happen though, doesn't it? more often than we'd like. hugs!!

ps. the lay of the land in your part of the world is absolutely stunning. breath taking. seriously!

GourmetGirlfriend said...

You know how happy I was to be taking a look at this video. My viewing didn't quite go to plan. My heart crushed rather than bruised....as you have read in my blog post today.
Being a mother is like travelling the hardest road, filled with blind turns and craggy slippery crevices.
Just know lovely Ciara that for your children you have been quietly creating a road filled with maps & hidden compasses for them to navigate.
you are exceptional.
I grabbed at a little of the solitude from those pics.
xx

Half-heard in the Stillness said...

I watched the video, I had not seen Thich Nhat Hanh before, although I have several of his books. Thank you so much my friend for posting this and the wonderful photographs of your trip today. To be a Mother I always say is 'The best job I ever had!' Although that does not mean it is easy. So sorry that you were troubled and bruised, but somehow it made you take the time for yourself.

I shall remember Thich Nhat Hanh's words from now on...
"Enjoy breathing in.
Enjoy breathing out!
And smile,
We are still alive."

GourmetGirlfriend said it perfectly,
'You ARE exceptional'.

Blessings and hugs
Jane

Ciara Brehony said...

Thank you dear friends.

Cyndi, thank you, yes, and with four sometimes it's as though they are simply taking turns! With Our Eldest though, it is a rare thing, and so all the more unexpected.

Ruth, thank you for your sweet words! And oh, but your story was just so precious. Such a perfect lesson in staying mindful!

Jane, I'm delighted you watched and enjoyed the video! Isn't he so inspiring? I could listen to him speak all night. Thank you for your kind words, too.

C x x x

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful blog!
The sentiment is heartfelt and your photographs glorious.

I was/am a bit of a pickle, so I never waste an opportunity to let my folks know how much I adore them. ( and yes, often after a row.)

ramona said...

Glorious post!! Said errant boy has been taught well.
Thank you for the video. Such a gentle kind man:)

Ciara Brehony said...

Gene Pool Diva, thank you, and so nice to meet you!

Ramona, thank you! And so glad you enjoyed the video. :-)

Mel's Kitchen said...

Ciara, what gorgeous photos! The only draw back is that I want to step into them body and soul and cannot! The pastoral landscape really reminds me of the fantastic yet super-real world of dear Maxfield Parrish.... xo

Melissa