Thursday 24 January 2013

In Which The Milkmooners Go On An Adventure.

Has it really been more than two months since I peeked in here? Well, it's not like life has been uneventful, probably too eventful really, and therefore, where do I start? I won't recap, as it would not do justice to all the wonderful things that have been and gone, but instead I will just have to see which ones emerge over the next few posts here, as I actually have a number of marvelous things to share with you, in the style of The Early Days of Milkmoon, because that is where I have woken up on this side of the New Year, in a place of Blogging Rediscovery, which is quite exciting for me.



So, with photos from my archives (as I am still without a camera), of corners of our home, I will start with what is most currant for us here in the Milkmoon household: you may recall this post about our looming Leave-Taking.
But I have questions. For example, how does one begin to pack up a house? Accumulated belongings of more than sixteen years, times six people.... Let's just say I am somewhat overwhelmed by it.
Where does one start? Is there a system to it? We've never had to do it before. The last time we moved, we had a two roomed apartment, no furniture, and just ourselves and a four month old baby to pack up. It all fit into the back of a car.



We have become extremely adept at finding excuses to not do it. It's not that we don't want to move, although there is a reluctance to leave this beautiful place, of course, but it's more just the sheer enormity of this mountain we have to climb to get ourselves to the other side of it.
We are hoarders, of sorts, the waste-not-want-not kind of hoarders, the rainy-day kind, and while Jay would deny he is one in any way, I admit I am the worst of them. For example, what constitutes my 'studio' is a haphazard mountain of shoe-boxes, jars, bags, curvers, baskets, all stuffed with bits of fabric, ribbons, buttons, threads, haberdashery of all kinds, as well as postcards, photos, magazine cuttings, letters, and teetering piles of books... you get the picture. And four children means an accumulation of toys, partly because I have a penchant for antique/old-school toys, which are impossible to get rid of, right?



And books, oh my, the books. One of the things I valued most, growing up, was my Dad's extensive library, which I truly discovered in my late teens, early twenties, when I read as many classics as were there, poetry, plays, biographies, you name it. It truly was a significant part of my education, one which had a bigger impact on the adult I was to become than any other singular element. And so, without being conscious of it, I have since spent my adult years building a Library Of Significance for my own children. Add to that the fact that when we moved into this house the bookshelves were already full, full I tell you, of someone else's, very long, life's collection! I cannot begin to estimate just how many books we have, but I can say it runs to the thousands, with bags and bags of them stuffed into cupboards too. So you can imagine, can't you, the task in that department alone. Clearly I can't bring them all, so there will have to be a culling, won't there, something I am dreading.



I also love teacups, and saucers, and teapots, and jugs, and I adore antique furniture, the bigger the better, I hold on to clothes that one lad grows out of, so the next lad can wear them, even though there is three - five years age difference between them, baskets and cupboards full of every kind of art and craft materials for the children, oh I could go on...the list is random and endless.
Now don't get me wrong, I am actually really looking forward to a new, simplified,  pared (a bit, anyway) back, beginning in our new house, which no, we have not found yet, but are now wholeheartedly looking for.



However, first we have to get through the dismantling, sorting, packing, moving, bit. And that's after making a decision on whether or not to go after a house that ticks some very important boxes, but does not tick other very important ones. Is it possible to get everything you want when house hunting? We did last time. Literally. To such fine detail it would give you goosebumps and instant Faith In The Universe. And I want with all my heart to believe we can do it again, because to us our home is not just bricks and mortar, it is a beloved part of the family, and therefore must be something we can love. Oh! the responsibility! the expectations! the enormity! of it all. Plus the fact that there are now six of us, all with different needs and desires and hopes.
It's a very fine juggling act we are now involved in, and I hope we get it right.



14 comments:

Gigi Thibodeau said...

I love this post for more reasons than I can count, and I can only begin to imagine what a challenge this move is for all of you. Having just made ours with only two of us plus two cats, but plenty of cups and bowls and BOOKS and oddments, I felt overwhelmed by the enormity of it. Yet here we are on the other side, settled in more or less, and loving our little house--and especially with bitterly cold temps, the wood-burning fireplace!

I keep thinking about your question regarding everything you want in a house. I imagine that with six of you, that will be hard to find, but even if you don't, you'll make it an extraordinary home just because of who you are and how you approach life. I also believe that your home will give you things you hadn't known you wanted or needed, but that you will treasure once you have them. I hadn't been seeking a yard with a giant white pine tree, and yet that's just what we have, and it is one of my very favorite things about this place.

Wishing you loads of luck with the house hunt, and sending a warm hug, my sweet friend. xoxo Gigi

Cait O'Connor said...

They say you will have to compromise somewhere when househunting (can't you tell I watch Kirsty and Phil on Location x 3?) and my son in law told me once that nothing is perfect and I believe both things are true. However I hope you find your almost-perfect abode and do let me know if it is PERFECT!
I loved the book photo..

Mimi said...

Aw Ciara, your dream house will emerge, just as this dream house did.
The packing? My only recommendation is get started asap, it takes a lot longer than you think!
But it's exciting, and a Whole New Adventure! Best of luck with it all.

Sarah S said...

Like Gigi we just went through a big move as well. With two boys and all the paraphernalia that goes with being an active family I can truly say I've felt the same and can so relate. We made it through a long year search for a home that was meant for us and truly the universe did provide (I also blogged during that time). I have been following your blogs for some time and really enjoy your sensitivity towards life-I know you will be lead on a journey that may seem difficult and painful at times, but one day-in the future in your new home- you will look back and see how it was all completely worth it.

Martin said...

Wherever you go, whatever you choose to take with you, it'll be your collective family spirit that makes the new house a home, Ciara. Good luck with your choosing. I know you'll choose well.

Mairéad said...

Good luck with your house hunting.It's not the walls which make a home but the people who live in it and the things you treasure so I'm sure you will find a house that's right for you and then make it your home.
As for packing, I can't even begin to imagine that. I've lived in this house all my life, and as it's my family home, there's the accumulation of a couple of lifetimes of treasures and junk.

Kerry O'Gorman said...

There will always be things right and wrond with a house and it's location but I'm sure as you walk through the doorway, stuff laden in all of your arms, you will make it a home. Good to see you writing again. Hope to see you with camera in hand again too one day! (mind, I do love all of your archival footage as well)

Willow said...

Oh think for certain and sure ~ if the Universe is taking you once more on this journey ~ it will lead you to the opening of a door you will be pleased to call your new home

Ciara Brehony said...

Thanks you, dear friends, for all your encouragement and sweet words.
On we go, hunting and hoping. There will be news here, soon.
I hope!

Ciara Brehony said...

Thanks you, dear friends, for all your encouragement and sweet words.
On we go, hunting and hoping. There will be news here, soon.
I hope!

gz said...

The memories of the years since 1998, when we have had to move to progressively smaller houses, five times....it IS painful....now after nine years I am leaving for a new life in a one bedroom cottage....HOW do you leave books behind?
Things need to go "to a good home"....but it it too time consuming and painful!!

You'll find The Right House...it will make itself known......just hang on in there and don't rush!!

martine said...

I love the photo of your pile of books, that is just amazing
thanks for sharing
martine

Anonymous said...

The memories of the years since 1998, when we have had to move to progressively smaller houses, five times....it IS painful....now after nine years I am leaving for a new life in a one bedroom cottage....HOW do you leave books behind?
Things need to go "to a good home"....but it it too time consuming and painful!!

You'll find The Right House...it will make itself known......just hang on in there and don't rush!!

Anonymous said...

hey