Friday 28 August 2009

Something Lovely.


It's been a while since I posted about Something Lovely and I thought I'd share these gorgeous images with you.

They are the work of a lovely lady called Doreen Kennedy, and she is a graphic designer and photographer based in my hometown of Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin.


Paris.

For any of you who have been to the Electric Picnic in Stradbally, Co. Laois over the last few years, you will have seen Doreen's 1,000 Flowers, where she covered trees with 1,000 pictures of flowers!

However, I have to admit it's her Holga images of Dun Laoghaire, Dalkey and Killiney that I absolutely love. I've had her calendar on my desk all year and I never get tired of peering at these beautiful images.


Killiney beach.

It seems a contradiction to say that a Holga image can be crisp, but that is exactly what these are. They pull you right into the picture.

This beach is the beach of my childhood. A place I go to still. And these in some way capture the little ghosts of us, right there on the sand and shingle, and it tugs my heart. And the light, somehow is that very light that beckoned us into the waves.


Killiney beach.


Dun Laoghaire pier.

And I almost cannot bare to look at these pictures of Dun Laoghaire, it tears at my heart so. So much of my childhood and teenage years was spent around Dun Laoghaire pier, and I feel I am looking through the years and could put my hand out and touch that child that I was. The otherworldliness of her ghostly images goes deep into my memory and shakes me there.

Over the months I've been looking at these, I have felt a homesickness in my heart that I thought was gone forever. And it's strange that I have felt this at a time I have never felt more settled and happy living where we do, just a few miles down the coast.

But it's a happy, nostalgic homesickness that satisfies something I cannot explain. A letting go maybe, for I am happy to have the memories I am blessed to have.

~*~
Do take a look at the rest of Doreen's work over on her website. And thank you Doreen for sharing such beautiful images with us.
~*~

3 comments:

Leigh Shepherd said...

Such beautiful evocative work. These could make anyone feel homesick! I would love to visit your part of the world.

AMI said...

:-(

How can we feel homesick when we are here!

Those photos capture the spirit of Dun Laoire so well, and I think they are timeless so they remind us of our childhoods, of our families through our lives and of those we miss...

Unknown said...

wow these are really gorgeous photos