Monday 14 April 2008

Sugar Free Yum.

Yesterday evening we had dinner with Lisa and Bill. That's always a treat. We were smacking our lips in anticipation all day. The texts were flying back and forth during the lead-up, regarding our various awkward and inconvenient foods intolerances, with me becoming increasingly guilty and embarrassed. No sugar. No wheat. I personally find it difficult to be creative and inspired when cooking. Especially the sugar. It does take a lot of the joy out of eating.

But not for our intrepid cook, Lisa. No. She waved aside my suggestion that she leave me out of the dessert. I think she was mildly outraged at that! And I think it made her all the more determined to come up with something. I have never seen anyone rise to a challenge as she did. Then again, I can't think of anyone else who is so devoted to creating a heavenly table as Lisa is.

This is it.



A chocolate cheesecake. It was divine.

Apart from a lapse of five half-day's over Easter when all that chocolate proved too tempting, I haven't had anything that remotely resembles a dessert in...not sure how long. So it was truly indulgent.

And there was even one for me to take home. Bless her...

Check here in the next day or so for the recipe. I most definitely will.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh no - i missed out on dinner at Lisa and Bill's...

Ciara Brehony said...

Maybe we can persuade Lisa that it was a practise run... So long as I get invited back when you go. (Har har). :-)

Paddy said...

Smile.......say 'Cheesecake.'

AMI said...

Ah thanks Ciara, you make me sound,like a martha stewart! it was no trouble! of course Jay it was a practice run, I've been saving my pistachio samosas to try out on you!!! Lets make it soon! x

Dianna Woolley said...

We attended a festive winemakers' dinner last weekend - there were 30 people in attendance. I warned the chef in advance that my spouse is lactose-intolerant (he can do goat stuff, just not from cows) and that of course she did not have to prepare him all special but at least a little something.

The whole meal from the appetizers through a beautiful zaglione (?) was dairy free. What a wonderful and delicious gift for all but especially my spouse who ususally receives a sorbet while everyone else is eating warm chocolate cake.

It's a gift you have and share when you prepare or include the whatever-intolerant guest!

In the present. said...

wow!! looks divine! Well done to all concerned. Are you able to avoid sugar all the time? It turns up in everything. Sinead

Ciara Brehony said...

You're right Sinead, it is in everything. Shockingly so. I could say it's impossible and a nightmare, and it is, but I have no choice. I actually can't function if I eat it. Tho one thing that helps is instead of feeling I'm denying myself something, I remind myself that I'm treating myself by not eating it!