Wednesday 22 April 2009

Something Lovely.

It's been a couple of weeks since I shared Something Lovely with you. I've been on blog sabbatical recently which is all Stephanie Meyer's fault as I had to read all the Twilight series to make sure they were suitable for The Eldest and My Only Girl.(Ahem. Well. That's what I started out saying...)  I'm halfway through the last one (which they won't be reading) and trying to drag myself back to blogland. So let's start with someone I've wanted to share since I discovered her a few weeks back. 

Meet the wonderful, talented Lisa Falzon. She is an artist originally from Malta and now living in Co. Cork here in Ireland. The minute I saw this particular picture I fell in love with it. I think it's because it reminds me so much of My Only Girl. Or maybe Her in a few years. And I have to say even the expression on occasion is very Her! (I'm sure any number of you with daughter's know that look!)


Napoleon Wrapped Around Her Finger.

Lisa makes her work digitally, and if you are interested in finding how she makes these amazing images you can find out here.


The Constant Gardener.
Description: ... Loved her, even when it hurt...
even MORE when it hurt...

Her work has a mystical yet playful air that I just love. With enough romance, history and mystery to make up all the themes I love. 

Her Etsy Shop includes pendants, pocket mirrors and bookmarks, as well as postcards and prints of the original works. This below is a jointed paper doll which has stolen my heart.


My Valentine Joyride.

Do take a wander over and say hi. I'm sure you'll find something to make you smile!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

those are great. i especially like the first and second one. very nice. thanks for sharing.

Esti said...

The piece at the bottom is great!!

Mel said...

Wow, amazing-- how striking and compelling her work is! Thank you for sharing her! I went on her site-- very cool. (My teen would love this, too, as he's quite the talented graphic designer...) And apparently she has works on deviantart, which oddly enough, is what came up when I turned on my computer just now, as it's the last place I was last night... searching for artist's concepts, but pre-film, of Edward... (*sigh* I know, I know.)

I agree with you about the 4th book for Finn. Please, too, let her know, she's not missing quite what she thinks she might be, as the tone and way time is spent with the characters seems (to me at least) completely different. I still highly recommend the Midnight Sun draft on Stephenie Meyer's Website, though, although I admit I wasn't reading for some of the purposes you were, so you will likely want to screen it too. ;) :)

(My word verification is: beatici! how lovely... beatific-- ici ("here" in French)?

Gigi Thibodeau said...

So, I started reading the Twilight books after you and too many of my students and friends--including my hairdresser and sister-in-law--all insisted the books were wonderful. I can't put them down! Just finished Book 3 in the middle of the night last night. Am a zombie today, but who cares? I love when books make me have a crush on a fictional character.

And I love these pictures on your blog today. I will definitely check out her work.
-xo

Ciara Brehony said...

Circe, I read Midnight Sun straight after Twilight and found myself wishing she had put it all together in one book! I'm sure they will some day. If you are looking for pre-film pics of Edward check out the 'Twilight: Director's Notebook. The story of how we made the movie.' It's a fascinating look inside the making of a movie, including drawings of Edward with dodgy long hair! (Thank goodness they came to their senses!) and it exudes Catherine Hardwickes warmth and enthusiasm.

Ah ladies! What are we like!!!

Lisa Falzon said...

Ooooh thanks for the feature Ciara!! :D And the sweet kind words.


As to twilight.. I read the first book while I lived in Paris still, in one stormy weekend - it was brilliant! But then I tried to read New Moon and eek... Bella's whininess.. I couldn't get through it!! :( I just might though, so I can then read 'Eclipse'.


I think Robert Pattinson looks so good as Edward Cullen it makes me wish I was a silly teen putting posters of him all up in my bedroom.

Amanda said...

I'm endlessly curious about how you will keep your babes from reading the last book in the series. Will there be an argument? Are they okay with and respectful of your limits, and have you imposed limits on reading material in the past?

As much of a good girl I was growing up, I think I'd have a hard time resisting the last book in a series no matter what my mother said!

Ciara Brehony said...

Hi Amanda. Ha! I know what you mean. You know, this is a first, and I do think they would never have read it in the first place if it wasn't for the film. To be honest I think they'll lose interest! There's not enough action and it's the biggest book of the four. I agree with Circe that in many ways it's a very different book, I suppose it's a bit like the Harry Potter books. Comparing the first two books to the last two, they are aimed at very different audiences. In that case tho Ru and Finn were in the right place!

Yes. I'd say in the first chapter alone there's definitely too much talk of, and actual, kissing and implied sex to have them duck and run like scalded bunnies! They're at that age. :-D

Danielle Barlow said...

I too love that first picture of Liza's. My daughter does that expression perfectly!

Jess said...

Hi Ciara, thanks for sharing Lisa's work, it's lovely! So too is your blog. (I found you through Karen's)x