Monday 3 December 2007

I wish I had a river...

"It's coming on Christmas, they're cutting down trees,
They're putting up reindeer
And singing songs of joy and peace
Oh I wish I had a river
I could skate away on." (Joni Mitchell).

This was taken by Jay. Grafton St. at Christmastime. When I saw it I got such a pang for city life. We really don't live that far away, and when we first moved down here we went into the city all the time. Into town, we'd say. But over the years I've gone less and less as life has taken over. The last few times I went in I was feeling very countryfied. But when I found walking down Grafton St. made me dizzy and uneasy just from the sheer number of people walking towards me, I felt angry with myself! This is my city! I love Dublin. No matter how long I live in Wicklow I'll always be a Dubliner.
So a trip to see the Christmas lights is definitely on the cards as soon as Jay gets back.

1 comment:

zee said...

I love that Joni Mitchell song! I can't believe I forgot to listen to Blue while putting up our Xmas tree last night. Make sure you get a look at the Brown Thomas window - they have about a gazillion little stuffed owls and it's so pretty!