Saturday 24 November 2007

Birthday.

As a child I always hated that my birthday was in November. To my mind November, and February, were the least attractive months to have a birthday. It was probably because I could never have a run-around-outside birthday party. I must be getting old, but now I love November. I love that last bit of Autumn that hangs on by it's fingernails.

I was treated to breakfast in bed of coffee and pancakes, and later to lunch in the Fern House cafe in Avoca. (At some point soon I am going to dedicate a whole post to Avoca. I am so glad to have it on my doorstep!) The food was incredible, but it's the setting that makes it such a lovely experience.

This is what Finn and Edmund ordered, to share. Isn't it so cool that these kids will eat this? They licked the platter clean, practically.



Ru had the crab pot, with giant chips that have to be the best tasting ever. Then we found out why: they are cooked in duck fat...Hmmm...



After, I had a quick look around and got some cakes to bring home, we had a run around outside in the last of the leaves, and the biting wind.



Then home to light a fire and snuggle up on the couch.

2 comments:

Emma said...

Happy Birthday, dear sister. I wish I could have been there today to celebrate with you. And the food looks delicious too! Instead we drove the last five hundred miles from CT and I gradually came down with a cold/fever. A snuggle by the fire would do me a world of good right now, but alas...

Love you all!

Ciara Brehony said...

Oh that you were both here at our fireside...