Wednesday 31 October 2007

The End of October.

It's the last day of October. It feels like summer is finally over although today is tropical outside. The colours on the trees have been the most beautiful I can remember. We have had sunny days when we should have had rain and wind. I have no doubt the rain and wind are on their way, but for now we can enjoy the summers last breath.
The sea is quiet today. Little waves rolling gently back over themselves, surf sucking back through the shingle.

I know there is something wrong when there is no time to make bread. When there is no time for stories. When bedtime comes and I feel as though I haven't seen one of the children, although they have been here with me. This unseasonal weather has thrown things askew. Now that we are indoors that bit more, these are the things that we should naturally find ourselves doing. So here we have a week off from the manic day to day. So, first I'm going to go out into the sun and hang up some washing while they run around, play on the swings. I will pause and listen to the sea, the reeds rustling in the breeze. I will listen to their voices, to their laughter, yes, even to their arguments. And then we will go to my parents, and Jay will come and we will dress up and paint our faces, and carve our pumpkin and knock on doors. There will be money in their dinner, and maybe a ring in the tea brack.
And tonight I will stand at my door and I will welcome the new season of darkness and I will breathe. I will breathe. And I will give thanks.
'All is safely gathered in.'

Here are some final summer pictures to bid goodbye to the sun.





2 comments:

AMI said...

i love the photo of ed at brittas (is it?) - its like every irish childhood caught in that one hot footed little moment! x

Ciara Brehony said...

Yes! Maybe that's why it's one of my favourites. It is the essence of those summer's gone...